To get an idea of the social capital within the UNCSA dorms, we asked half of the people on our hall if they could name all twenty-six student residents, including themselves. We also asked our hall counselor of one month, Susan, if she was up to the task. Here are the results of the survey. The last row indicates averages for each column.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Lab # 15
Social Capital Within the UNCSA High School Dorms
To get an idea of the social capital within the UNCSA dorms, we asked half of the people on our hall if they could name all twenty-six student residents, including themselves. We also asked our hall counselor of one month, Susan, if she was up to the task. Here are the results of the survey. The last row indicates averages for each column.
To get an idea of the social capital within the UNCSA dorms, we asked half of the people on our hall if they could name all twenty-six student residents, including themselves. We also asked our hall counselor of one month, Susan, if she was up to the task. Here are the results of the survey. The last row indicates averages for each column.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


WOWWWW.
ReplyDeleteI mean, I guess I'm not all that suprised by this, but at the same time, I definitely am. Being a PL, I know all of the girls on my hall (thankfully), but it is so sad to me that the majority of my girls probably do not know one another. And we try to build social capitals! We're required to have a certain number of social events each term. After looking at your data, I do wonder about America and their social capital. And sad enough, I bet our halls are more connected than the average neighborhood. Since we are a community, I wish people would just acknowledge that and give eachother more time!! Everyone in our dorms are such wonderful people, and it would be amazing if some day, we'd all know eachother more. I guess it's an okay dream to have, right??
Thanks for sharing your lab!!
----Julia Boyes
Wow. What a smart way to consider if we know others. As you said, it's only the first step in building social capital, but without that building block, there is no connection. Thanks for thinking carefully about this and executing such an interesting lab. I like the way you crunched the numbers down and converted the abstract idea of friendships into something concrete. Hollah!
ReplyDelete~Milnizzle
This doesn't really surprise me either. I do find it very sad though, there are so many opportunities for us to build social capital and meet our neighbors. I can only imagine how many Americans can't even name their next door neighbor. I thought this was a really good lab that showed exactly what our own social capital is.
ReplyDelete-Josette Roten
Yay! Susan remembered my name and it made me feel great :)
ReplyDeleteThe sad thing is that I think it is such a great thing for someone to simply remember a name, when in the large scale of things, it is a very small part. Unfortunately I have a very difficult time remembering people's names, especially if I don't have classes with them. My dad is a lawyer, and has the worst time remembering names, so he just go's around calling people "Hunny, darling, and buddy," so I definitely have my genes from him. But what I lack in remembering names, I make up for with remembering faces and memories.. so even if I can't remember someones name I can still probably tell them a story about us that they probably wouldn't even remember. :)
-Gentry
You guys rock!
ReplyDelete